Resurrection Parish in Fontana was established in 1953 when the city was still part of the Diocese of San Diego. Located on the city's north side, it developed from St. Joseph Parish a mile south west. Both parishes at the time and until 2010 have been administered by the priests and brothers of the Congregation of the Resurrection. Fr. Clement Weiss, C.R., was the first pastor.
Fr. Albert Kowalczyk, C.R. was the pastor when the present church with a capacity of 550 was constructed in 1957. One of its most attractive qualities is a series of 21 stained-glass windows. He also oversaw the opening of grades K through 4 of the parochial school, Resurrection Academy, currently enrolling about 200 children.
By 1978 an increase in the Catholic population called for the creation of the new Diocese of San Bernardino to which Resurrection Parish would now belong. As growth continued, during the pastorate of Fr. Timothy Keppel, C.R., a large parish hall was built in 1989 and six years later, three classrooms were added. Easter 1990 saw the celebration of the first Mass in Spanish. Today four Masses in English and four Masses in Spanish are offered every weekend. There is also a small, but notable, presence of Filipinos in the parish today. A major event that brings the several parish communities together is the annual three day summer fest held on the last weekend of June. Fr. Leonard Krzywda, C.R. was the pastor at the time that Resurrection Church and St. Thomas More in Rialto merged to become Blessed John XXIII in 2006.